Friday 14 April 2017

Day 57: Eritrea and Injera

Good evening, Raffies!

Today we are going to make a dish that I have been looking forward to trying at home for a very long time: Injera
This is a quite common dish in most of Eastern Africa.

It all begins with the injera, the traditional flatbread, made out of sourdough. I prepared the dough yesterday to leave it to rest and ferment. When I came home from work today, it had developed some kind of foam, like when you leave yeast to rest in water and sugar.
Then I started my marathon for the berebé paste and the different side dishes. Luckily, I had feared it would take me longer, but I was done within 2 hours..also thanks to my husband who was upgraded to chief onion and garlic chopper.

First things first, injera presents itself as flatbread with different dishes and sauces on it. The traditional injera is not only an important part of a meal in Eastern Africa, but it is also a fundamental utensil. It is used to grab and scoop the sauces and side dishes.

I had decided to make 5 side dishes and obviously the fundamental berberé sauce. As it seems, this sauce is fundamental for most Eritrean dishes.
I have taken inspiration for the side dishes from these great websites:

To give you an overview of injera buzzfeed.com
For some great vegetarian dishes: thestar.com

And I can definitely see myself making this for some dinner party! It was incredible!
I would love to try it in Eritrea or with some great people from Eritrea and learn more about this incredible dish!

The recipes I have used are the following:





Have you ever tried this? What do you think of it?

Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment